Wednesday 21 May 2014

Take Back Control: 4 Toxic Habits to Break



“We first make our habits, then our habits make us.” ~Charles C. Noble


  • Classic set of toxic habits consisted of Nail biting, smoking cigarettes, abusing alcohol and drugs.

  • Some behavior patterns that can do equally bad damage to our vital and creative energy, claiming control over our lives and holding us back.


Ignorance is bliss, someone once said. I overstayed my welcome in that state of mind more than once. I thought my bad habits were actually making my life easier, and following the path to personal growth always seemed so cumbersome.

My desire to improve became stronger than my fear of getting out of my comfort zone. I realized that the patterns of my behavior were too destructive and the feeling of comfort and familiarity was just an illusion.

 The first step would be to break a set of toxic habits and take back control.

1.A thirst for approval.

I spent a large part of my life doing things in the hope of getting others’ approval. approval.

 

2. Sit. Wait. Hope. 

I used to sit and wait and hope that somehow a complicated situation would magically resolve itself. 

 

3. Super competitive-comparative mode.

Excessive competitiveness brought out the aggressive, rootless, and a little bit obsessive-compulsive part of me

 

4. Relying too much on other people.

When I wasn’t feeling like doing something, I would pass it over to someone else. And then I would rely on that person to do things for me instead of learning how to solve challenges myself.

 

When you look at sequoia tree up close, it is so enormous, you feel like an ant before it. But when you step back and see it from a mountaintop, it looks like a tiny match from a matchbox.

 

The same goes to our daily challenges in life. Up close, they seem so formidable and unsolvable, but that’s only true if we refuse to try.

 

 

 We all have unhealthy habits. Identifying them and working to eliminate them can dramatically improve the quality of our life. It may take time to introduce changes, but if you do it mindfully and focus on the benefits, you’ll feel less resistance and a readiness to change for the better.

 

 

 

 

http://p.feedblitz.com/t3.asp?/850672/29312163/4765230/tinybuddha.com/author/lesya-li/ 

 

 

 

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment